Associate Attorney Job Opening
Associate Attorney: Criminal Defense and Family Law
Colorado Lawyer Team was founded with the vision of being ambitious rebels and fighting the system from the inside out all while treating clients (and each other) like VIPs. We’re currently looking for an associate attorney who wants to join our team and help us achieve justice and fair outcomes for our clients while not sacrificing our souls.
Job Opportunity Details
This associate attorney will work closely with the CEO, Justie Nicol, but will also interact daily with the entire team. Our robust team includes a paralegal, a dedicated virtual assistant, interpreters, an office administrator, contract investigators, contract social workers, as well as other attorneys. We are a rapidly expanding firm and looking for someone who enjoys a fast-paced and fun office atmosphere. This is a full-time position with the expectation that the attorney will work from home (or from court) most days of the week since the firm is—and has always been—a paperless, virtual law firm.
The associate attorney will have the opportunity not only to hone their family law and criminal defense skills, but also opportunities to work on exciting legal technology projects, network on a national level, and volunteer with a variety of nonprofit organizations. On-the-job training is provided—seriously we often UNtrain the bad habits acquired at other firms—and self-starters are encouraged. We value and trust our employees, and we give enough space to allow everyone to flourish while also making ourselves available for questions at any time. We maintain one of the best work atmospheres with weekly team meetings, and we pay bonuses out based on our team’s ability to “live our core values.” Job description and other details, including how to apply, are below!
- High speed internet for zoom/webex and remote office work
- Reliable phone service
- We will provide a computer, docking station, home monitors, all-in-one printer, and other necessary equipment as appropriate
About the Position & Salary Range
You will be joining a small team that works hard and plays harder. We’re fun-loving and innovative—we are NOT like other law firms (seriously, look at any of our social media to know more). We’re looking for the right fit, and, ideally, a long-term relationship.
- 65,000 – 95,000 per year (gross) depending on experience
- Professional membership dues and conference/CLE costs are covered, including travel for select conferences
- Monthly reimbursements for phone/internet use and mileage to/from court and client commitments
- Discretionary bonuses quarterly for performance
- Dedicated bonus pool for teammates to award one another for living our core values (ask us about our “Rogue Raves”)
- New business origination bonuses
- Insurance package and benefits
- Short-term/ long-term disability benefits and Employee Assistance Program
- Non-owned auto and commercial umbrella coverages to protect what’s yours
- Professional dues covered
- Quarterly wellness stipend and/or wellness initiative
- Office pets encouraged!
- Bar leadership and/or nonprofit/charity work expected
- Robust PTO, sick leave, and leave of absence policies with flexible work hours
- Help to obtain ADC subcontract and administration of ADC cases (including billing entry)
- Opportunity to expand into a field of your choice
- Regular capacity check-ins to ensure burnout and overwhelm don’t occur (because being an attorney is already stressful enough!)
- Healthy work-life balance is mandatory
- Job description:
- Family law and criminal defense split caseload
- Not responsible for intakes or on-call work
- Research and case management
- Client communication
- Court communication, including motions and trial practice in a variety of jurisdictions
- Work within law firm systems
- Part of the best team imaginable
- 2+ year attorney with trial experience in criminal law and an interest in learning family law
- Experience working as a team (did you captain your HS athletic team? Great!)
- Hardworking self-starter who takes initiative
- Never can learn enough/ continual improvement
- Comfortable in a virtual environment
- Client-service oriented
- Tech-savvy required (we don’t do Word Perfect)
- Ability to learn new computer skills with appropriate training a must (are you familiar with or willing to learn Slack, Trello, and Canva?)
- Good sense of humor (we’re not about prestige, if you can’t tell, so humor AND humility is a bonus)
- Paperless, full remote firm
- Always learning and improving
- Loyal to each other
- Flexible and responsive
- Great communicators
- Use innovation to serve ourselves and clients better
- 24 hour a day receptionist service provided (yeah, you’re not really ever answering your own phones)
- Dedicated help-desk for software systems
- Respect each other’s boundaries
- Freedom to speak your mind without judgment
We want to know who you are, so make your application stand out! Click here to apply for this position online.
We are committed to fostering an environment that embraces and promotes equality, diversity, and inclusiveness. Minorities are ENCOURAGED to apply.
Applications close: May 15, 2023. Interviews will be ongoing until the position has been filled so please apply early!