Do I Need a Denver Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you have been accused of a crime or are facing criminal charges, it can be a very stressful and overwhelming experience. No matter how big or how small the charges are, these cases are often life-changing for our clients. Hiring a criminal defense attorney to help you is a decision that should not be taken lightly. Here at Colorado Lawyer Team, our experienced Denver criminal defense lawyers will take cases in both the General Sessions (GS) / Municipal Court as well as the County and District Courts of Denver. But, the first step in determining whether to hire a Denver criminal defense lawyer, is just to determine whether you need an attorney at all… Here are some factors to consider when deciding whether to hire a criminal defense attorney:
- Severity of the Charges: The severity of the charges you are facing is one of the most important factors to consider when deciding whether to hire a criminal defense attorney. If you are facing serious charges that carry a significant prison sentence, it is highly recommended to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney who can protect your rights and provide you with a strong defense.
- Complexity of the Case: If your case involves complex legal issues or requires extensive investigation, it may be difficult to represent yourself effectively in court. If you try to do so, you should know it may not be possible later on to get a Denver criminal defense lawyer on your case. In addition, pro se defendants (those without lawyers) are held to the same standards as a lawyer–meaning: the judge expects you to know the rules of evidence and to understand how and when written pleadings are required, among other things. A Denver criminal defense lawyer can provide you with the knowledge, skills, and resources necessary to navigate the legal system and present a strong defense.
- Your Personal Situation: Your personal situation can also influence your decision to hire a Denver criminal defense lawyer. For example, if you have a prior criminal record or are facing immigration consequences, it is essential to seek legal representation from an experienced Denver criminal defense lawyer who can minimize the impact of the charges on your life. Criminal convictions have long-lasting consequences, so it’s also important that your attorney advise you if your case can later be sealed and what that process looks like.
- Your Comfort Level: Your comfort level with representing yourself in court is also a crucial factor to consider. If you are not comfortable with legal procedures, terminology, or the court system, it may be best to hire a criminal defense attorney who can guide you through the process and advocate on your behalf.
In general, if you are facing criminal charges, it is highly recommended to seek legal representation from an experienced criminal defense attorney. Our attorneys at COLawTeam can protect your rights, provide you with a strong defense, and help you navigate the complexities of the legal system.
What Makes a Good Denver Criminal Defense Lawyer
A good criminal defense lawyer is someone who has the knowledge, experience, and skills necessary to protect their clients’ rights and provide a strong defense. Here at COLawTeam, we like to say that we are experts at making sure a single mistake doesn’t ruin our clients’ entire lives. After all, good people make bad choices all the time… that doesn’t mean that they’re bad people, though. Here are some key qualities that make a good Denver criminal defense lawyer:
- Knowledge of Criminal Law: A good Denver criminal defense lawyer should have a deep understanding of criminal law and the legal system. Yes, this is built on their years of experience in this field, in part, but not entirely. Look at what kind of experience they had. Former prosecutors and public defenders literally learned all kinds of legal things in prior jobs, and often in a high-volume, high-stress environment. Someone who’s just opened a criminal defense firm right out of law school? Not so much. Any good Denver criminal defense lawyer should be familiar with the laws and regulations specific to their jurisdiction and be able to apply them effectively to their clients’ cases.
- Experience: Experience is crucial in criminal defense. A good criminal defense lawyer should have a track record of successfully defending clients in criminal cases. You don’t want to be the first client with that kind of case for the Denver criminal defense lawyer in question. They should be familiar with the local court system and have strong relationships with judges, prosecutors, and other legal professionals. Although judges and prosecutors regularly change dockets, ideally your case won’t be their first trip to that courthouse!
- Strong Advocacy Skills: A good criminal defense lawyer should be a strong advocate for their clients. They should be able to effectively communicate with judges, prosecutors, and jurors, and present a persuasive argument in court. They should also be able to negotiate effectively on behalf of their clients. Moreover, they should be amazing communicators when it comes to talking about your case with YOU. You shouldn’t have to beg them to schedule a call with you or only speak with them in the hallway outside of court.
- Attention to Detail: A good Denver criminal defense lawyer should have a keen eye for detail. They should be able to analyze evidence, identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s case, and uncover any potential defenses that could be used to help their client. This is an ongoing process, too. So, as more detail emerges and more time passes, Denver criminal defense lawyers need to constantly revisit what has been done before and look at it with fresh eyes.
- Empathy and Compassion: A good Denver criminal defense lawyer should be empathetic and compassionate towards their clients. They should understand the stress and emotional toll that criminal charges can take on their clients and work to alleviate those concerns. Here at COLawTeam, we practice holistic criminal defense–meaning that we try to provide resources to our clients to help them in all aspects of their lives that have been impacted by this case. We often make therapy and social worker referrals and strategize about housing or work consequences with our clients.
- Availability and Responsiveness: A good criminal defense lawyer should be available to their clients and responsive to their needs. They should be willing to answer questions and provide updates on the progress of their case. Colorado Lawyer Team’s Denver criminal defense lawyers can be booked online any time.
In summary, a good Denver criminal defense lawyer should have the knowledge, experience, and skills necessary to provide a strong defense for their clients. They should be a strong advocate, have attention to detail, be empathetic and compassionate, and be available and responsive to their clients’ needs.
How to Find a Good Attorney Today
If you are in need of a criminal defense lawyer in Denver, Colorado, there are a few things you can do to find the right attorney for your case. First, of course, is researching attorneys. Look for criminal defense lawyers in Denver through online directories, legal websites, or by asking for recommendations from family and friends. Check their experience, credentials, and reviews from previous clients and check their bar numbers to see how long they’ve been licensed in the state of Colorado. You may also want to check if there are any prior disciplinary proceedings on record or if they have malpractice insurance using the state’s attorney registration or other sites.
After you’ve got a good list of folks to consider, consider scheduling consultations. Online, phone, or in-person consultations with potential attorneys allow you to discuss your case and get a sense of their experience, communication style, and approach to defending clients. In that meeting you should plan to ask several questions to help you make an informed decision about which attorney to hire. Some questions you may consider asking include:
- What is your experience with cases similar to mine?
- What is your success rate in defending clients in criminal cases?
- How will you communicate with me throughout the process?
- What is your fee structure and payment options?
Obviously, any decision you make will be a factor of what you can afford and the value the Denver criminal lawyer will deliver for the price you pay. Make sure to consider the attorney’s fees and payment options before hiring them. Some criminal defense lawyers may offer flat fees, while others may charge hourly rates. Be sure to ask about costs on your case and any hidden fees that aren’t included in flat rates.
After considering all the factors, you’re ready to make a decision about which Denver criminal defense lawyer to hire. Many times we hear from our clients that–although we may not be the cheapest–we are certainly the best fit for them and their case. Obviously, we think our attorneys here at Colorado Lawyer Team are pretty awesome, too. So, feel free to call, text, email, or chat with us to schedule your free consultation today.