Do you handle real estate matters?

At this time, we are scaling back our real estate area of practice. Ultimately, most real estate clients would probably be better served with a good broker. We have a licensed real estate broker, but she works almost exclusively in a closely-held, family, commercial property management business. If you are interested in a consult for commercial leasing (either as a landlord or tenant), you may certainly contact us. All other areas of real estate law are no longer being offered to law firm clients. This includes sales of residential property, deed preparation, title searches, etc. For real estate law, I would recommend Jeffrey Cullers at Herms & Herrera in Fort Collins, as an alternative, or Samuel Kornfeld, whom you can contact at You may always find representation by searching for a lawyer on the CBA’s Find a Lawyer website. Good luck!

How Do I Pay You

All major credit cards are accepted, as well as cash and check, of course. All personal checks must be cleared before payment will be credited to the client’s account. We currently utilize online payments via Square, and are working on allowing phone and online payment processing in the near future. Check back soon! Until then, just let me know, and we’ll email you an invoice to pay online anytime!

Do you offer a flexible payment plan?

It depends on the fees to be charged, but in most cases we definitely can formulate a payment plan. In all situations, we do our best to accommodate people who aren’t made of money (if you ARE made of money, please hire us). Students and Vets get discounts for criminal defense matters, and family law matters are curated to an individual’s needs, as well.

Colorado Lawyer Team offers flexible payment plans over the life of your case or even longer, which helps keep overhead low and costs down — resulting in lower fees to clients. We quote new criminal cases on a flat-rate basis, so you’ll know exactly what to expect in terms of cost by the end of our initial phone conference. We offer DIY packages for criminal and family law matters (via Hello Divorce). Additional costs can apply (filing fees, mileage, etc.), but we tell you up front what is and is not included and we’re happy to curate a payment plan for any new client.

In family law and in some rare criminal cases, an hourly rate may be quoted for specific types of cases (post-conviction work, mostly). No two cases and no two clients are the same. We tailor fees and fee structures to the case and the client’s unique circumstances during our initial 30 min free consultation.

Do you offer free consultations?

We do a free 30-minute consultation, at the end of which you get the quote for what it will cost to retain us as your attorney. These are almost always done via phone.

Do you offer student rates?

Yes. We cater to students with offices right across the street from CSU, offering flexible payment plans.

How Do I Get In Touch Once I Hire You?

Colorado Lawyer Team is a virtual law firm operating in a paperless manner. You can always use snail mail, but aside from limited pleadings that are required to be sent to you via USPS, most of our correspondence will be over the phone, via email, via text, or in person. Regular office hours are not maintained. We may be in court or working from one of our four offices. Meetings must be scheduled in advance due to our busy calendar. Colorado Lawyer Team is unavailable on weekends, holidays, and after-hours, generally speaking. Emergencies for existing clients are dealt with as soon as practicable. Please do not leave multiple messages to avoid duplication of work. We generally try to update all our clients every month (if not more often) even if the update is, “there is no update.” When you sign a contract for representation with Colorado Lawyer Team, we will provide you with all of our firm’s policies regarding communication so we’re always on the same page!

What Kinds of Cases Do You Take?

We are criminal defense attornies, which is a very broad term. Here are some of the case types that we routinely handle:

  • Felony defense
  • Sex crimes
  • Misdemeanor cases
  • Juvenile Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Driving Under the Influence (DUI/ DUI Per Se) cases
  • Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI) cases
  • Biking Under the Influence (BUI) cases
  • Minors in Possession (MIP) cases
  • Drugs & Paraphernalia cases
  • Probation Violations
  • Sealing and Expungement
  • Animal cases
  • Weapons cases
  • Assault cases
  • Harassment cases
  • Noise and Municipal Violations
  • Title IX and University Administrative Discipline cases
  • Marijuana Law
  • Burglary
  • Theft
  • Arson
  • Civil Protection Orders
  • Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) cases

We are criminal defense attornies, which is a very broad term. Here are some of the case types that we routinely handle:

  • We also have wonderful family law attorneys who cover:
  • Allocation of Parental Responsibilities
  • Adoptions
  • Arbitration
  • Dependency & Neglect
  • Divorce
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Mediation
  • Modification of Parenting Time
  • Paternity
  • Protection Orders

Can I Get Copies of My File?

Generally speaking, Colorado Lawyer Team maintains copies of files for ten (10) years after the conclusion of the case. Some cases in specific areas of law require longer retention. Our firm has a file retention and destruction policy that will be provided to you when you retain us and usually at the end of your case. In most cases, if you need copies of your file, you may request an electronic copy at any time. You will then be able to download whatever documents are needed, but access to your file may be for only a limited time to ensure the security of our computing and software systems. Hard copies of files are not provided at this time, due to cost prohibitiveness (and TREES). In most cases, we send copies of Dropbox links to you at the start of your case to share information with you and a second link for you to upload information directly to us–even from your phone!

What kind of animal law are we talkin’ about?

We practice animal law in a limited capacity. We focus primarily on criminal animal cases and teach law enforcement mostly on investigating and prosecuting animal cruelty statewide. Have you been charged with a crime involving animals? If so, then we can likely help you or refer you to someone who can…

However, if you are hoping to get custody of your pet back from an ex, that type of case is outside of our practice areas and you should consult with a replevin, civil litigation, or domestic relations attorney (in event of marriage/divorce). Similarly, if you want to sue a vet for veterinary malpractice, that is not an area of law that we can assist you with and you should look for a civil litigation attorney. Beware, pets are property in Colorado and most attorneys do not take vet malpractice cases due to limited damages awards.

You may try searching for a lawyer on the CBA’s Find a Lawyer website (

Do You Do Family Law? And Can You Draft a Will for Me? Will You Review a Real Estate Sales Contract?

There are a number of different types of lawyers. Some, who think they can be an expert in everything at all times, may advertise themselves as “general practice” attorneys. In order to cover a variety of areas while also being experts, we hire a range of attorneys. We DO handle divorce cases with our wonderful family law attorneys!

However, we DO NOT practice Trusts and Estates, and so we cannot help you with a Power of Attorney, Will, or Estate Plan. Although we have a licensed Real Estate Broker, we no longer accept Real Estate cases due to the limited amount of availability that we have to devote to such cases. We have found that most Real Estate clients would be better off with an attorney specializing in that area of law, or consulting a broker.

If you are contacting us for help and are not sure if we cover it, please give us a call or check the Practice Areas page to be sure. But that doesn’t mean you still can’t reach out! We went to law school in Colorado and have an extensive network of professional contacts. We may be able to refer you to someone who can help.